2011/09/09

The Opening Gambit

Hi
Welcome to this humble hangout. It is place where I may write about life, the universe and everything oh, and aussie federal politics.You can add you two bobs worth if you wish.

Why is this place called Picking Nits? Well it's a bit of a long story but I will try and keep it short(ish)
Most people know what a Nit Picker is and I have been called many variations of the type with and without abusive descriptors added. A lot of the posts to come (which will be totally random and erratic) will be nit picking and probably pedantic as well but that doesn't explain how I got here or chose the title.
Courtesy of The Free Dictionary some definitions of 'nit' you may (or may not) be aware of:
- a luminance unit equal to 1 candle per square meter measured perpendicular to the rays from the source
- a unit of information equal to 1.44 bits
But the reality is the NITS part comes from my love of acronyms. Acronyms? that doesn't compute!
It's simple really, one day at a blog I have be known to frequent with reckless abandon I asked of the whereabouts and/or health of an on-line persona that I often enjoy discourse with. The reply was 'Nothing Interesting To Say ...'
So there you have it. I have started this blog because I often I have nothing interesting (intelligent?) to say and damn it I am going to say it. If you have nothing interesting or intelligent to say well so be it however if you think what you have to say is even slightly interesting or intelligent then say it here. I guess you can figure that what you say may get picked on. That's just part of life here.
Amongst the hopes I have is that in saying nothing interesting I may shine a tiny bit of light on the subject at hand and possibly provide 1.44 bits of information you may not have been aware of.


House Rules
  1. I make the rules, like it or lump it.
  2. I will decide when and if the rules have been broken.
  3. Have fun with the words used here. Use words as a thing of joy not as weapons.
  4. If you disagree with what someone says by all means say so BUT attack the idea or thinking not the on-line persona saying it.
  5. Any decisions I make about the rules may well be arbitary but they will be final and correspondence will only accepted by registered post addressed to Santa Claus c/o The North Pole.
  6. When in doubt refer to rule 1 if that doesn't clear it up refer to rule 2.
For the moment my audience will be known as 'Gladys' in deference to Phillip Adams and his 'umble radio show because, well, I have delusions of grandeur and hope to have an audience that is as varied and intelligent and big as his. A bloke can dream!!
The door is always open, except when it is closed, please come in but wipe your feet before you enter and, if you are so inclined, you can remove your footwear and leave them on the stoop.

9 comments:

  1. D Mick Weir
    Congratulations!
    What a bold step.
    I wish your new venture every success.
    Does this mean that I have to learn a whole new set of emoticons and shortcuts?
    Looks like it.
    Onward and upward, BMW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day NK,
    It's a learning curve for me too (real steep) :)

    A work in progress and I will pass on tips if I can find 'em

    ReplyDelete
  3. DMW
    You've taken away the little rubbish bins.
    Now I can't censor myself. =((
    Congratulations on a successful hack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NK
    not sure how I did that ~x(
    I was going to ask you to test that to see if you could only delete your comments or delete anybodys

    another thing to test and/or check

    ohh the fun of being a trainee blogmaster 8-}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi DMW - were you hacked? I see my comment to you from yesterday has disappeared. You accepted it originally and responded. It may be our friendly (not!) stalkers who pop up at TPS and CW from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DMW
    The rubbish bins are back - they only appear (to me) beside my own comments. I just successfully deleted one of my now superfluous comments

    Patricia WA
    Sometimes the language has shortcomings.
    Hack has multiple meanings these days. I used 'hack' in reference to DMW having to do a bit of programming to modify his blog application in order to enable emoticons.
    So, yes it was a hack but self-inflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all,
    been around the traps since toooo early

    PatriciaWA
    your comment is still on other post
    http://ausnitpicks.blogspot.com/2011/09/if-that-is-where-you-are-going-i.html?showComment=1316735832797#c4140330897684281425

    As NormanK said it was me 'hacking' into my blog so we could use smilies/emoticons like
    =))

    or hang on while I take a call :)]

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Smiley shortcuts are shown below. Hat Tip NK :)
Smilies don't seem to show as smilies in preview.
You can use html tags in comments. Enclose with < & >